How do I start a group instant message in Skype for Windows desktop?
A group conversation allows you to send instant messages to two or more contacts simultaneously. You can do this by either creating a group from scratch, or by adding contacts to an existing conversation. Currently, you can add up to 300 contacts to one IM conversation.
Anytime a member of the group sends an instant message, it will be received by all the participants, allowing multiple contacts to chat and share contacts and files with each other, all at the same time. It’s a perfect tool for keeping track on group projects with co-workers or planning events with family or friends.
The following questions and answers will help you with group conversations over Skype.
How do I create a group?
- Click the +New icon under your profile picture.
- Type the name of a contact you want to add.
- When you find a contact you want to add, click it, then click Add.
- Repeat this process for as many contacts as you wish to add to the conversation. If you want to carry on your existing conversation, you don't need to create a new one - just jump into the existing conversation with that person.
This creates your group. Simply type and send your first instant message and it will be sent to all members of the group.
You can also invite anyone to your group chat. You don’t need to know their Skype name and they don’t even need a Skype account to enjoy free voice calls, video calls and instant message conversations with you. Learn more.
How do I add contacts to an existing conversation?
- Sign in to Skype.
- From the Recent list, select the conversation you’d like to add new contacts to.
- Click the button to either create a new group in a one-to-one chat or add people to an existing group chat.
- Select the contacts you would like to add to the conversation. When you have finished, either click the Create group button in a one-to-one chat or the Add button in a group chat.
Important: If the chat window displays a message that a particular contact won’t be able to participate in the group chat until they upgrade Skype, please inform them by sending a separate 1-to-1 instant message to upgrade at Skype.com/updateme, or send them here for more information on cloud-based group chats.
How do I save a group to my contact list?
When you create a group or add contacts to an IM conversation, it will only be stored in the Recent list. If you would like a group to be stored in your contact list as well, right-click the conversation and select Save Group in Your Contacts. You can find all your group conversations at the bottom of your contact list.
How do I customize group settings?
Click the group avatar to the left of the group name at the top of the conversation window.
There are several settings you can customize in the conversation profile:
- Tap the conversation title to change it.
- Change the group avatar by selecting Change Picture, and upload an image from your computer.
- Disable conversation notifications by unchecking Notify me when something new happens.
- Make chat history available to everyone by checking the box. Anyone joining the group chat will be able to see the conversation history.
- By default, your conversation is open for anyone to join who has the link. You can prevent people joining your chat by unchecking the box Make a link for anyone to join. Anyone who is already in your conversation will remain in your chat.
How do I leave a group conversation?
To leave a group conversation:
- Sign in to Skype.
- On the Recent tab, find the group conversation you would like to leave and right-click it.
- Select Leave Conversation.
Alternatively you can type "/leave" into the text box of the group conversation you would like to leave and press Enter.