You can share a group video call with up to 25 people (24 plus yourself), ten video streams (9 plus yourself) can be visible at one time, the rest will be audio. This includes your friends and family on Android and iOS, anywhere in the world, and if everyone’s on Skype, it’s completely free.
Making a group video call
| 1 || |
In Skype, click the +New icon under your profile picture.
| 2 || |
Type the name of a contact you want to add.
| 3 || |
When you find a contact you want to add, click them and click Add.
Repeat this process for as many contacts as you wish to add to the conversation. If you want to carry on your existing conversation, you don't need to create a new one - just jump into the existing conversation with that person.
You can add up to 25 people (24 plus yourself) to your call, including your friends and family on Android or iOS. Ten video streams (9 plus yourself) can be visible at one time, the rest will be audio.
Click the group avatar to bring up the group profile. From here you can:
- Tap the conversation title to change it.
- Change the group avatar by selecting Change Picture, and upload an image from your computer.
- Disable conversation notifications by unchecking Notify me when something new happens.
- Make chat history available to everyone by checking the box. Anyone joining the group chat will be able to see the conversation history.
- Invite anyone to your group video call. You don’t need to know their Skype name and they don’t even need a Skype account to enjoy free voice calls, video calls and instant message conversations with you. Learn more. By default, your conversation is open for anyone to join who has the link. You can prevent people joining your chat by unchecking the box Make a link for anyone to join. Anyone who is already in your conversation will remain in your chat.
| 4 || |
Click the Video call button .
The screen changes color, a call bar appears near the bottom of the screen and you'll hear ringing until the other people answer.
| 5 || |
Smile, wave, say hello to everyone!
| 6 || |
If you can't see or hear each other, click the call quality icon on the call bar and check your settings (you may have to move your mouse to make the call bar appear).
If you experience problems on your call, check our Call Quality troubleshooters.
| 7 || |
To drop individual people from the call, move your mouse over the person’s image and click the red icon. You’ll only be able to do this if you are the host of the group video call.
To hang up, click the red End Call button.
Useful things you can do on a call
- Show or hide your Contacts and Recent list.
- Turn video on or off.
- Turn microphone on or off.
- Click Add to:
- Hang up the call.
- Show or hide the IM window.