How do I receive calls and instant messages in Skype for iPhone?
Have you downloaded Skype and joined us? Then just add your friends to your contact list and you’re ready to start calling and sending them instant messages.
Note: This article covers the latest version of Skype (Skype 5 for iOS), but also includes instructions for Skype 4 for iOS here. If you're unsure of which version you're using, click here.
- How do I receive calls and instant messages in Skype for iPhone?
- Do I get any notifications about missed Skype calls and instant messages on Skype for iPhone?
- How do I mark my recent conversations as “read” or delete my conversation history?
- How do I switch between my call and a chat?
You only need to be signed in to Skype and have the app running in the background on your iPhone to receive Skype calls and instant messages.
Find out more about running Skype in the background.
If you can’t hear the Skype ringtone when receiving Skype calls or instant messages in Skype, check your notification settings:
- Tap your profile picture in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Set In App Sounds and In App Notifications to ON.
If you sign in to Skype on your iPhone and on your desktop computer at the same time, then both of them will ring when you receive an incoming call.
You can also answer incoming calls to your Skype Number. A Skype Number will allow people to call you on Skype even if they are not on Skype. You can set up your Skype Number from your account.
Yes. Depending on what you missed, you’ll see a little red numbered badge on the Recent tab. Here you can find all of your call and instant message related events, including any text messages you've sent, missed calls and any voice messages you've received. Simply tap the tab to view your call history and a list of all the chats you're involved in.
Skype for iPhone only supports one active call at a time. So if you receive a second call during an ongoing one, the caller will hear a busy tone and you will get a notification of a missed call. If you have Voice Messaging activated, the caller can leave you a voice message.
To mark all your recent conversations as “read”:
- Swipe to recent at the top of the screen.
- Tap the more icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Mark All as Read.
- To delete the conversation, tap and hold the chat in the recent screen and select delete chat.
Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen.
- Once you've returned to the active chat window, you can navigate through the app as usual.
To return to the call, tap the contact to whom you're currently talking, then tap the green call icon.
Important: The iPhone 3G does not support multitasking.
If you can’t hear the Skype ringtone when receiving Skype calls or instant messages in Skype 4 for iOS, check your notification settings:
- In the main menu, select Settings.
- Tap Notifications > Skype and set Sounds to ON.
To mark all your recent conversations as “read” in Skype 4 for iOS:
- Tap Recent to bring up your conversation history.
- Tap the Edit button at the top of the screen.
Tap the check icon at the top right of the screen and select Mark All As Read.
You can also tap Yes, don’t ask again so that next time you only need to tap the Edit button and the check icon to mark all your received conversations as “read”.
To delete your conversation history in Skype 4 for iOS:
- Tap Recent to bring up your conversation, text message and call history.
- Swipe your finger from left to right on the conversation, text message or call you want to remove.
- Tap Delete.