This article is also available for:
Making a group video call (Mac)
With Skype Premium you can make a video call with three or more people, anywhere in the world.
Before you make a group video call
To ensure the best call quality, check the following:
- Each person on the call needs to make sure that they’re using the latest version of Skype and their system meets these requirements.
- Make sure that your webcam is working properly. If it’s not working, these tips can help.
- At least one of the people on the call must have Skype Premium.
- If you are using Skype for Mac 2.8, check that you meet these requirements.
Making a group video call
It’s easy to make a group video call:
In Skype, from the menu bar, click File > New Conversation….
A new Untitled conversation appears.
Click the Add button and select Add people.... Then select the contacts you want to add to the group video call. To find people easily, start typing their name into the Add people box.
Repeat this for each of the contacts you want to add to the video call, and then click Add.
You can add up to nine contacts, but for the best quality, we recommend group video calls with up to five contacts.
Click the Video Call button.
The screen changes color, a call bar appears at the bottom of the screen and you’ll hear ringing until another person answers.
Smile, wave, say hello to everyone!
To drop individual people from the call, move your mouse over the person’s image, click their name and select Hang Up. You’ll only be able to do this if you are the host of the group video call.
To end the call completely, click the red end call button.
Useful things you can do on a call
During the call, you can:
- Open and close the sidebar.
- Turn your video off. The people you’re calling will no longer be able to see your video, although you will still be able to see theirs. Click again to turn your video back on. When the button is red, your video is on, and when it is white, your video is off.
- Mute your microphone so the other people in the call can't hear you.
- Send files, contact's details, share your screen, or add people to the call.
- View the video call in the full screen mode.