How can I take a screenshot?
A screenshot is a picture of your computer screen that you can take and save on your computer. Screenshots are useful if you want to show someone exactly what you can see on your screen.
- On your keyboard, press the Print Screen (Prt Scr) key to take a screenshot of your entire desktop. To take a screenshot of an active window, press the Alt+Print Screen (Prt Scr) key combination.
- Save a copy of the image in Microsoft Paint. To do so, simply click Start > All Programs/Programs > Accessories > Paint.
- Press the Ctrl+V key combination to paste your screenshot into Paint.
- Go to the menu and click File > Save. Make sure you can remember where you save the image to, as you’ll need to find the file to attach the image in an email.
- Enter a file name.
- In the Save as type: drop-down menu, select JPEG.
- Click Save.
On your keyboard, press the Windows +Print Screen (Prt Scr) key combination. A screenshot of the entire screen is taken. To take a screenshot of an active window, press the Alt+Print Screen (Prt Scr) key combination. The screenshots are automatically saved in your Screenshots folder.
To find the folder:
- In the Start screen, press the Windows key . Windows 8 switches to classic view.
- Open the File Explorer from the task bar.
- Under the Libraries folder on the left side, select Pictures. Your Screenshots folder is located here.
On your keyboard, press the Command+Shift+4+Spacebar key combination and click the window you want to take a screenshot of.
To take a screenshot of your entire desktop, press the Command+Shift+3 key combination. To capture a portion of the desktop, press the Command+Shift+4 key combination. A cross-hair cursor will appear. Simply click and drag the cursor to select the area you’d like to capture. To save the screenshot, just release the mouse button.
The screenshots will be saved on your desktop in .png format.
The easiest way to take a screenshot is to press the Print Screen (Prt Scr) key on your keyboard. This will take an image you can then paste into your graphics software and save as a file. The Prt Scr key will take a screenshot of your entire screen. To take a screenshot of an active window, press the Alt+Prt Scr key combination.
Important: On some keyboards, Prt Scr can appear as PRTSC, Print Scr or a similar abbreviation. Some laptops and mobile devices don’t have the Print Screen key and might use key combinations, like Function+Insert, to take a screenshot. See the device’s user guide to find out the correct key or key combination.