This article is also available for:
How do I delete my chat history in Skype for Mac OS X?
Always make sure that you’re using the latest version of Skype for Mac OS X so that you don’t miss out on the new features and improvements.
When you delete your chat history in Skype, it removes your entire history, which includes:
- Instant messages
- Voice messages
- Video messages
- SMS text messages
- Sent and received files
Once your chat history has been deleted, it cannot be restored. You won't be able to recover this information.
This FAQ will help you delete your chat history in Skype for Mac OS X:
- Deleting all chat history
- Deleting my entire conversation
- Removing/clearing all recent conversations from the sidebar
It’s easy to delete your chat history:
- Sign in to Skype.
In the menu bar, click Skype > Preferences….
- In the window that opens, select the Privacy panel.
- Click Delete All Chat history. This may take a few minutes to delete.
You can also indicate how long you'd like to save your history for. In the Save chat history area, select from: 1 Month, 3 Months, 1 Year, Forever, or Never.
It’s not possible to delete a part of the conversation history only, but you can delete a conversation with a particular Skype contact. This will delete all the conversations you’ve ever had with that contact.
It’s easy to delete a conversation:
CTRL-click the conversation and select Delete Conversation....
In the pop-up window, click Delete.
You can also remove all recent conversations from the sidebar:
- In the main menu, go to Conversations > Clear Recent….
- A message box appears asking “Clear all recent conversations?”.
- Click Clear Recent. Your recent conversations are removed from the sidebar.