This article is also available for:
Why does Skype for Mac OS X crash my computer?
Skype may crash due to outdated software drivers, OS issues or application incompatibilities.
Please try the steps below in order to prevent this from happening:
- Make sure you are using the latest version of Skype for Mac.
- Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for running Skype, as indicated at the end of this page.
- Update Mac OS X with the latest updates from Software Update.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
- Repair Disk Permissions using Disk Utility.
- Quit Skype, go to folder User/Library/Preferences, delete the file .com.skype.skype.plist and then re-launch Skype.
- Quit Skype, go to folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype, delete the file shared.xml and then re-launch Skype.
- Quit Skype, delete the folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype and then re-launch Skype.
- If you are using an external video device, make sure you have the latest drivers, available on the device manufacturer's website or from macam.