To enjoy the new features, better call quality and an improved video call experience, we strongly recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of Skype for Mac OS X.
There are many new features in the latest version that you will not find in Skype 2.8 or previous versions:
- Making group video calls (available with Skype Premium or a Skype Manager™ subscription)
- Re-establishing calls using the call recovery feature
- Finding your contacts and conversations quickly with full text search
- Seeing who is online and starting a conversation with a single click from the Contacts Monitor
- Flicking through your contact list “as pictures”, or if you prefer, using the contact list view
- Seeing and instant messaging your Facebook friends
- Signing in to Skype with your Microsoft account to instant message and call your Messenger buddies
The latest version of Skype for Mac runs on Intel-based systems with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion.
If you have a Mac running Tiger, Panther or a PowerPC system, you can continue to use Skype 2.8. However, your video calling experience will be limited.
Find out what's new in the latest version of Skype for Mac.
Learn more about our minimum system requirements.