This article is also available for:
To use a new headset, microphone or speakers, including USB headsets, USB phones or multiple sound cards, you need to configure which device Skype should use.
- In Skype, in the menu bar click Skype > Preferences and then select Audio/Video.
- Use the drop-down lists to select the appropriate devices for audio input (microphone), output (speakers) and the device that will ring when someone calls you on Skype.
- Try speaking into the microphone and see if the volume indicator lights up. If it does, the microphone is working properly.
By default, the microphone settings are adjusted automatically. You can disable this option by un-ticking the box.
- Make sure the device you want to use as your camera is selected in the Camera drop-down list. If it is, you will be able to see your live video capture beneath it.
- Make a test call to see if your sound settings are working properly.
For more information on how to change your audio settings, check the Skype sound set up guide.
Learn more about how to use a headset, microphone and speakers with Skype.