Getting started with Skype (iPad)
Never used Skype on iPad before? Don’t worry, it’s easy to get started.
All you need to do is:
- Get Skype – Download Skype to your iPad.
- Join Skype – Get a free account to enjoy instant messages and free calls and video calls with your friends.
- Sign in to Skype – Sign in and add your friends as contacts, then call, video call and instant message them, wherever you are.
It's that simple.
Download the latest version of Skype
Skype on your iPad is free to download, just like Skype on your computer (the App Store might ask you to confirm your payment information with your password, but you're not being charged). To get the Skype for iPad application:
- Open App Store on your iPad.
- Search for the Skype for iPad app.
- Start downloading Skype for iPad.
Skype for iPad is available in the following languages (based on your device’s language setting):
Catalan, Croatian, Czech, English, Estonian Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
If your device is not in any of these languages, Skype will, by default, appear in English.
Important: Skype for iPad and Skype for iPhone are two distinct apps. If you’re running the Skype for iPhone application on your iPad, you won’t get an App Store message asking you to update to the newer version of Skype for iPad.
To learn more about the system requirements your iPad needs to meet to run Skype, simply visit the App Store.*
*Skype is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Never used Skype before? Don’t worry, you can join us by signing in with your Microsoft account or you can simply create a new account for Skype.
To create an account for Skype on your iPad:
- Start Skype and tap Create account.
- We'll take you through the process of creating your new account for Skype.
You’re now ready to start using Skype on your iPad. You can also use your account on any device that runs Skype, such as your computer, mobile phone, tablet or TV.
Sign in to Skype
Make sure that you’re connected to the internet through WiFi or a 3G/4G network, and follow the steps below to sign in to Skype.
- Start Skype. You'll see this screen:
- Type your Skype Name, Microsoft account email address or phone number, then tap the arrow.
- Type your password for the account you've chosen and tap Sign in.
You’re now ready to add your friends as contacts, then call, video call and instant message them.
Learn how to add a profile picture, change your mood message and personalize your profile information. However, you cannot use personalized ringtones on Skype for iPhone, you can only use the preloaded Skype ringtone.
Sign out of Skype
To sign out of Skype, tap My info and then tap Sign out (you might have to scroll down to see this option).