The following FAQs will help you sign in and out of Skype, and set up your preferred settings on the application:
Does Skype work over 3G, 4G and WiFi?
You can use the Skype for Symbian application and access all of its features over 3G, 4G and WiFi. If you plan to use the application over 3G or 4G networks, then we recommend an unlimited data plan to avoid incurring any additional data charges from your operator. You should also check with your operator before using Skype over a mobile data connection while travelling abroad as you may be charged extra.
Find out more about data usage
Do I need an existing Skype account, or can I join Skype with my Symbian phone?
Even if you’ve never used Skype before, you can join Skype by creating a new Skype account using your phone:
- Start Skype.
- Select Create account.
- Enter the required details:
- Your name
- Create a unique Skype Name (between 6 and 32 characters)
- Create a password (at least 4 characters and containing at least one number)
- Press Continue and enter your email address.
- Select whether or not you would like to Receive news and offers and click Create.
Will I be signed in automatically?
You can set the application to sign you in automatically. To do this:
- Start Skype.
- Press Back to access the home screen.
- Select Settings, then General.
- Under Sign in select When Skype starts.
Now you will be signed in automatically when you start the application.
Can I be signed in to Skype on my Symbian phone and my computer at the same time?
You can sign in to Skype on both devices at the same time, but we don’t recommend it. Being signed in to Skype on both devices at the same time may lead to conflicts between settings on the applications, and you may find instant messages are delivered to one of the devices and not the other. We recommend being signed in on one device at a time.
How do I sign out of Skype?
To sign out of Skype, press Back to access the home screen and tap Sign out.
How do I change my settings on Skype for Symbian?
To view your application settings press Back to access the home screen.
From here, you can view the following settings:
- General: Choose to sign in manually or sign in automatically when Skype starts and set whether you receive a notification when the application is about to use your 3G or 4G data connection.
- Calling and SMS text messaging: Change your call forwarding and voicemail settings, and set verified mobile numbers as sender ID.
- Notifications: Edit your audio notifications and vibration settings, ringtone and instant message tone. You can also set your mood to display the song you are playing in m-player, or use your calendar to set your status.
- Privacy: Set your privacy settings. Here you can select who you receive calls or instant messages from. You can either allow calls and IMs from anyone or only from contacts.
- Advanced: Set how long your call and IM history is kept on your phone. You can also set your connection ports and your download folder location.