This article is also available for:
Is my call being relayed in Skype for Mac OS X?
Sometimes it’s not possible to make a direct connection between your computer and the computer of the person you’re calling via Skype. This usually happens when your firewall/router settings, or those of your contact’s, are restrictive. In these cases, the connection needs to be relayed (redirected) via one or more additional computers. This may reduce your connection speed and may affect the file transfer time, screen sharing or the quality of your video calls. You can’t make HD video calls when your call is being relayed.
Learn more about updating your firewall to work with Skype.
To check whether your Skype-to-Skype call is being relayed:
- Sign in to Skype.
- In the menu bar, select Skype > Preferences....
- In the Preferences panel, click Advanced and tick Display technical call information.
- Make a Skype-to-Skype call.
- In the menu bar, click Window > Technical Call Info.
- A box with technical information related to the call will be displayed. If the call is relayed, the word next to SessionOut and SessionIn will be RELAY_UDP or RELAY_TCP.