How do I find my way around Skype for Windows desktop? Back to search results
To open Skype, double-click the Skype icon on your desktop (or choose it from the Windows Start menu), then sign in with your Skype Name or Microsoft account email details.
Check out this short video to help you find your way around the app, and you'll be calling and messaging your friends in no time.
If you need more information about where to find everything, we've labelled and explained it for you below.
- If you're signed in with a Skype Name, it is shown here.
- If you're signed in with your Microsoft account, your Microsoft account email address is shown.
B. Menu bar - Includes all the options that will help you get the most out of Skype.
C. Name and status - You can change your Skype status and display name if you wish.
- Click the status icon (at the bottom-right of your profile picture) to change your status.
- Click your display name to access your profile, where you can change your profile picture, mood message, and more.
D. Skype toolbar - Allows you to reach the most used Skype features easily. You can open Skype Home, show the dial pad to call phones and mobiles, and set up a new group.
- Contact list - Lists your contacts and lets you see their online status.
- Recent list- Lists the recent conversations you’ve had in Skype.
F. Contact summary - Displayed when you select a contact. Tells you your friend's status and mood message. To see more details about your friend, click their name and a pop-up with their full profile information is displayed.
G. Call buttons - Use these buttons to call, video call or add more people to create a group conversation.
H. Skype Translator - Enables you to translate voice calls, video calls and IMs. Find out how to set up Skype Translator.
I. Conversation window - Displayed when you select a contact or set up a group chat. Shows your instant message conversation and call history with that contact or group.
J. Conversation box - Displayed when you select a contact or set up a group chat. Use this box to type and send your instant messages, emoticons, Mojis and SMS messages.
Here are a few pages that can help you do even more: