Getting started with Skype for Mac
If you've never used Skype before, don’t worry – it’s easy to get started. If you’re not sure where to start, take a look at our guide tofinding your way around Skype.
All you need to do is:
- Get Skype – download Skype to your computer.
- Join Skype – get a free account to enjoy instant messages and free calls and video calls with your friends.
- Sign in to Skype – sign in and add your friends as contacts, then call, video call and instant message with them, wherever you are.
It's that simple.
To download the latest version of Skype
- Download Skype.
- When the .dmg file has finished downloading, a Finder window opens. If it doesn’t open, go to the Finder, open the Download folder and click the Skype .dmg file.
- In the Finder window, drag the Skype logo on to the Applications folder.
- Go to the Applications folder and double-click the Skype icon to start Skype.
When you see the Skype icon in the Dock, ctrl-click it and select Options > Keep in Dock. Next time you want to start Skype, you can simply click the icon in the Dock.
To join Skype
Never used Skype before? Don’t worry, you can join us by signing in with your Microsoft or you can simply create a new account for Skype.
- Go to Create an account.
- We'll take you through the process of creating your new account.
You’re now ready to start using Skype. You can also use your account on any device that runs Skype.
To sign in to Skype
Make sure that you’re connected to the internet and follow the steps below to sign in to Skype.
- Start Skype. You'll be at the sign-in screen:
- Type your Skype Name, email address or phone number.
If you entered an email address and there is more than one account matching that email address, select the one you want to use.
- Type your password for the account you've chosen and click Sign in.
You’re now ready to add your friends as contacts, then call, video call and instant message with them.