How do I send SMS text messages from Skype for Linux?
This article is also available for:
Send text messages to mobile phones from Skype at great low rates.
You can send text messages to any text-enabled number (most mobiles, some landlines). All you need is a little Skype Credit.
To send a text to one of your contacts
- In Skype, find the person you want to text and click on them.
- There are two ways to send a text message. Either right-click the contact, select Send SMS and then select the number you wish to text.
Or in the conversation window, tick the SMS box.
- Type your message into the conversation box and press Enter. You will see the remaining characters and price in the right top corner.
To send a text to a number not saved as a contact
- In Skype, at the bottom of the window, click Call Phones or Send SMS.
The dial pad is displayed.
- If you are texting abroad, click the flag menu and choose a country from the drop-down list, then click in the box beside the flag.
- Type the phone number (or click the numbers on the keypad) and click the Send SMS button.
- In the conversation box at the bottom of the screen, type your message and press Enter.
Unfortunately, the person you sent the SMS text message to won’t be able to reply you on Skype.
Having problems with sending texts? Read these troubleshooting tips.