This article is also available for:
How can I completely uninstall, and then reinstall Skype for Mac OS X?
To completely uninstall, and then reinstall Skype for Mac:
- Quit Skype by selecting Skype > Quit Skype.
- Open your Applications folder and drag your copy of Skype to the trash.
- Then open ~/Library/Application Support * and drag the Skype folder to the trash. The ~ sign represents your home folder. To find your home folder, open Finder and, from the menu bar, select Go > Home.
Important: If you’d like to keep your chat and call history, skip this step.
- Open ~/Library/Preferences and drag com.skype.skype.plist to the trash.
- Open Finder and search for “Skype” using the search feature in Mac OS X. Move all of the results returned to the trash.
- Click Ctrl and the trash icon, and select Empty Trash.
- Restart your computer.
- Download and install the latest version of Skype.
Get help with installing Skype.
*By default, the Library folder is hidden in Mac OS X v10.7 “Lion” and higher. To find your Library folder, open Finder and, from the menu bar, select Go, press and hold the option key, and then select Library.