This article is also available for:
Sending instant messages (Android tablets)
Have real time instant message (IM) conversations with anyone on Skype. Instant messaging is free on Skype for Android tablets, just like it is on your computer.
When you sign in to Skype for Android with your Microsoft account, you can send instant messages to your Messenger buddies, just as you would send to your Skype contacts. When they upgrade to Skype, you can enjoy all the great Skype features together.
Sending an instant message
It’s really easy to send an instant message in Skype for Android tablet. To send an instant message:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Select a contact.
- Tap in the text field, enter your message and tap enter on the keypad.
To add emoticons to your instant messages, simply tap the emoticon icon and select the one you’d like to send.
You can also edit, remove, copy or quote an instant message:
- In an active conversation, tap and hold a message.
- Select Copy message, Quote message, Edit message or Remove message.
If you have chosen Copy message, your instant message is copied to your tablet’s clipboard and you can paste it to another conversation or a different application.
If you close the instant message conversation and someone sends you a message, you will find it in Recent. Here your instant messages are listed in chronological order.
Any instant messages that haven’t been read will display with an orange numbered badge beside them. All the instant messages you have already read will be grey.
To view an instant message, simply tap it.
Sending a group instant message
With Skype for Android tablets, you can also send instant messages to more people at once. To send a group instant message:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Tap one of the contacts you’d like to add to the group.
- Tap the menu icon and select Add people.
- Start typing the contact’s name and select it from the list displayed.
- Repeat this for all the contacts you want to add to the conversation and then tap the tick button .