This article is also available for:
Getting started with Skype for modern Windows
Never used Skype before? Don’t worry, it's easy to get started. Simply download and install Skype for modern Windows from the Windows Store and sign in with your Microsoft account.
To get started with Skype for modern Windows, you first need to:
Are you experiencing download or installation issues? Visit Skype Community for assistance, you might find there's already a solution to your problem.
If your computer is running Windows 8 or above, you probably already have Skype for modern Windows installed. To be sure you have Skype for modern Windows installed (or to be sure you're updated to the latest version:
- In the Windows Start screen, click or tap the Store tile.
- Type "Skype" into the search box.
- Click the Skype tile in the results.
- If your Skype for modern Windows app is updated to the latest version, you'll simply see "this app is installed on this PC." If you see an Install or Update button, click it.
- Sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account when prompted, then select Save. If you need to link your existing Skype account to your Microsoft account, follow the steps here.
- The Skype app tile is now displayed on the right of your Start screen, and you can easily move it to any other place. Simply drag and drop the Skype tile to a spot you like in your Start screen – for example, to the left side so it’s the first tile on your Start Screen.
Learn more about how to sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account for the first time.
Now that you've got the latest version of Skype for modern Windows, you can add contacts. To add a contact:
- Open Skype for modern Windows by clicking or tapping the Skype tile you've just set up.
- Click people on the right side of the screen.
- Click the add contact icon to search for and add contacts.
For a more detailed article on the many ways you can add contacts to Skype for modern Windows, check out this page.
Now that you have Skype for modern Windows updated and set up, you're ready to enjoy the many features it has to offer, such as:
- Instant Messaging with emoticons
- Video messaging
- Sharing files
- Video calling
- Free Skype audio calling
- Calling mobiles and landlines