Making a video call (Windows RT)
If your're running Windows RT, chances are Skype for Windows RT is already on your computer; look for the Skype tile in your Windows Start screen, or simply seach for Skype using the Search charm. If you don't see a Skype tile on your Start screen, it's easy to add one.
If Skype is not installed, you can easily download it:
- Click the Store tile on your Start screen.
- When the store loads, simpy type Skype in the Search Window.
- Click the Skype tile in the search results.
- Click Install at the top left of the screen.
You can video call anyone else on Skype, anywhere in the world, for free. Simply find your friends on Skype and add them to your contacts. When you’ve added a friend, it’s easy to video call them.
Before you make a video call, make sure your system meets the minimum system requirements. The person you are calling to also needs to meet these requirements.
Check your audio and video settings to make sure your microphone, speakers and camera are working properly with Skype for Windows RT.
Making a video call
To make a video call:
- Start Skype.
- Under people or favorites, select the contact you want to call.
- In the conversation window that opens, tap or click the video call icon to start the video call.
The screen changes color, call options appear near the bottom of the screen and you’ll hear ringing until the other person answers.
- Smile, wave, say hello!
- If you can't see or hear each other, move your mouse to the upper right corner of your screen or swipe from right to make the Windows charms menu appear. Then select Settings > Options and check your audio and video settings.
To change your speakers’ volume, simply move your mouse to the upper-right corner of the screen (or swipe in from the right) to open the Windows charms menu, then tap or click Settings, then tap or click the speakers icon.
If you’d like to change an audio or video device you’re using, simply select the drop-down menu next to them to view the list of recognized devices. Then choose the device you want from the list.
- To end the call, tap or click the end call icon.
Useful things you can do during a call
During a call, you can do the following:
- Go back to Skype Home to see your recent conversations, favorites, or people. To get back to the video call screen, select the small video call window in the top right corner.
- Turn off your webcam so the other person can’t see you.
- Mute your microphone so the other person can't hear you.
- Show the options window so you can:
- See your Notifications (for IMs, calls, sent files, etc.).
If you experience any video quality issues, check this handy guide.
For more help, visit the Skype Community.