Sending instant messages in Skype for Windows RT
With Skype for Windows RT, it’s easy to contact your friends by sending an instant message or two, or three, or ten.
The following guide will help you get started with sending instant messages in Skype for Windows RT:
Sending an instant message
It’s very easy to send an instant message in Skype for Windows RT:
- Start Skype.
- Under favorites or people, select the contact you want to IM. If the contact is not listed, select the right arrow next to people to see all of your contacts.
- Enter your message in the conversation box, then tap or press Enter.
If your contacts are offline, your message might be delivered immediately if you're both on cloud-enabled devices. You can also send them SMS text messages or call them on their mobiles or landlines.
Editing or deleting an instant message
To edit or delete an instant message after you've sent it (you can edit or delete within 60 minutes after you've sent the message):
- Right-click (or tap and hold) the message in the chat window.
- To edit the message, tap or click edit message.
- Make your corrections in the window, then press Enter.
- To delete your message, right-click the message in the IM window, then tap remove message. A removed message will appear as below:
Replying to an IM
Skype for Windows RT makes it easy for you to see when you’ve received an instant message.
When someone sends you an IM, you can find the unread messages under recent in Skype Home.
To reply, just select the conversation, enter your message and tap or press Enter.
If you are in another conversation, call or video call, and someone sends you a message, an orange dot with the number of unread messages will pop up in the upper right corner of your screen. Tap or click the dot to view your unread messages.
If you’re using another application, and your Skype notifications are enabled, you will see an IM notification displayed in the upper right corner of your screen. Just tap or click it to answer.
Changing your IM settings
You can change your IM privacy settings and certain IM functions at any time:
- Start Skype.
- In Skype Home, move your mouse to the bottom right corner of the screen or swipe from right. In the charms that appear, select Settings.
- In the Settings panel, select Options to change your IM settings:
- Decide who you allow instant messages from. Choose Everyone or Only my contacts.
- Select clear history to delete all instant messages from all conversations you’ve ever had with your contacts. Deleting the conversation history removes video messages. When you delete your conversation history, it cannot be recovered.
- In the Settings panel, select Permissions to edit your notification settings. You can choose to enable or disable Skype notifications when you’re not on Skype or when your screen is locked.
Useful things you can do in an IM
When you’re chatting with someone in the conversation window, you can use plenty of other Skype’s features.
Add people to the conversation
- In the conversation window, select the + icon, then select add participants.
- Select the contacts you want to add from the list, then select add.
Important: If the chat window displays a message that a particular contact won’t be able to participate in the group chat until they upgrade Skype, please inform them by sending a separate 1-to-1 instant message to upgrade at Skype.com/updateme, or send them here for more information on cloud-based group chats.
Liven up your IMs with emoticons and let your friends know how you’re feeling. Select the emoticon icon in the conversation box and choose the emoticon from the list.
Get more help with instant messaging.