This article is also available for:
Getting started with Skype (iPhone)
Never used Skype on iPhone or iPod touch before? Don’t worry, it’s easy to get started.
All you need to do is:
- Get Skype – Download Skype to your iPhone or iPod touch.
- Join Skype - get a free account to enjoy instant messages and free calls and video calls with your friends.
- Sign in to Skype – Sign in and add your friends as contacts, then call, video call and instant message with them, wherever you are.
It's that simple.
Skype on your iPhone or iPod touch is free to download, just like Skype on your computer. To get Skype for your iPhone or iPod touch:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Search for the Skype app.
- Tap the Skype icon to start downloading Skype.
Alternatively, we can send you an SMS text message with the download link. However, this option is available in certain countries only.
- Go to the mobile downloads website.
- Select Get the app under iPhone.
- Select Get Skype for iPhone.
- Enter your mobile phone number and select Send link to my phone.
Skype for iPhone is available in the following languages (based on your phone’s language setting): English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish and Traditional Chinese.
If your phone is not set up in any of these languages, Skype will, by default, appear in English.
To learn more about the system requirements your iPhone needs to meet to run Skype, simply visit the App Store.*
* Skype is not responsible for the content of external sites.
To create a new Skype account on your iPhone or iPod touch:
- Start Skype.
- Tap Create Account.
- In the Create Account window, enter the required personal details, choose your Skype Name and tap Create Account.
You’re now ready to start using Skype for iPhone. You can also use your account on any device that runs Skype – computer, mobile phone, tablet or TV.
Make sure that you’re connected to the internet through WiFi or a 3G/4G network, and follow the steps below to sign in to Skype with your Skype account:
- Start Skype.
- Select to sign in with your Skype Name.
- Tap Sign in.
Read through the introduction or tap Done to skip it.
Alternatively, you can sign in with your Microsoft account.
You can now personalize your profile information and add your profile picture.
To edit your profile, at the bottom right of your screen, tap Profile > My Profile. You can then personalize your profile and edit the About Me section.
You can use personalized profile pictures on Skype for iPhone. Just tap Profile, then tap the camera icon in the top left corner of the screen.
You can take a new photo or use a photo from your phone.
You cannot use personalized ringtones on Skype for iPhone, you can only use the preloaded Skype ringtone.
If you’re using a device running iOS 7, the Skype application will ask for permission to use the microphone. Tap OK to allow Skype to use the microphone.
You can also manage your microphone privacy permissions on iOS 7 by going to Settings > Privacy > Microphone.