Getting started with Skype (iPhone)
Never used Skype on iPhone or iPod touch before? Don’t worry, it’s easy to get started.
All you need to do is:
- Get Skype – Download Skype to your iPhone or iPod touch.
- Join Skype – Get a free account to enjoy instant messages and free calls and video calls with your friends.
- Sign in to Skype – Sign in and add your friends as contacts, then call, video call and instant message with them, wherever you are.
It's that simple.
Download the latest version of Skype
Skype on your iPhone or iPod touch is free to download, just like Skype on your computer. To download and use the latest version of Skype for iOS, you'll need iOS 8 or later.
To get Skype for your iPhone or iPod touch:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Search for the Skype app.
- Tap the Skype icon to start downloading Skype.
Alternatively, we can send you an SMS text message with the download link. However, this option is available in certain countries only.
- Go to the mobile downloads website.
- Select Get the app under iPhone.
- Select Get Skype for iPhone.
- Enter your mobile phone number and select Send link to my phone.
Skype for iPhone is available in the following languages (based on your phone’s language setting): Catalan, Croatian, Czech, English, Estonian Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
If your phone is not set up in any of these languages, Skype will, by default, appear in English.
To learn more about the system requirements your iPhone needs to meet to run Skype, simply visit the App Store.*
* Skype is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Never used Skype before? Don’t worry, you can join us by signing in with your Microsoft account or you can simply create a new account for Skype.
To create a new account for Skype on your iPhone or iPod touch:
- Start Skype and tap Create account.
- We'll take you through the process of creating a new account.
You’re now ready to start using Skype for iPhone. You can also use your account on any device that runs Skype – computer, mobile phone, tablet or TV.
Sign in to Skype
Make sure that you’re connected to the internet through WiFi or a 3G/4G network, and follow the steps below to sign in to Skype.
- Start Skype. You'll see this screen:
- Type your Skype Name, Microsoft account email address or phone number, then tap the arrow.
- Type your password for the account you've chosen and tap Sign in.
You’re now ready to add your friends as contacts, then call, video call and instant message with them.
For more information, see our guide to signing in to Skype.
Forgotten your sign-in details? We can help.
Learn how to add a profile picture, change your mood message and personalize your profile information. However, you cannot use personalized ringtones on Skype for iPhone, you can only use the preloaded Skype ringtone. Get more tips on finding your way around Skype.
Sign out of Skype
To sign out of Skype, tap My info and then scroll down and tap Sign out.
Will Skype run on my "jailbroken" iPhone?
Skype may or may not work on a "jailbroken" iPhone but we cannot support these devices and are not responsible for errors or crashes which result from modifications to the underlying iPhone OS.