Adding contacts (iPhone)
This article is also available for:
Have you downloaded Skype*and joined us? Then you’re ready to add contacts.
*This article covers the latest version of Skype (Skype 5 for iOS), but also includes instructions for Skype 4 for iOS here. If you're unsure of which version you're using, click here.
It's easy to find your friends on Skype and add them to your contact list. When you’ve added your friends, you can voice or video call them and send instant messages for free on Skype.
You can also add mobile and landline contacts, and call them from Skype with a little Skype Credit or a subscription.
Depending on the version of Skype you have, you might also have the option to automatically add contacts; just tap Settings, enable the Automatically add friends option under General, then tap the Add phone number option to verify your mobile number. Learn more.
To add a contact:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Tap the More button at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Tap Add People.
Enter the Skype Name, email, or full name of the person you want to find into the Search box, then tap Search on your iPhone keyboard.
- When you find the person you're looking for, tap them to add them to your contacts.
- If you want to edit the contact message, tap the edit link.
Tap send contact request to notify the person you're looking for that you want to add them as a contact.
You can also add contacts and conversations to your Favorites. Learn more.
To add a new contact:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Tap People.
- Tap the list you want to add the contact to.
- Tap the add icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose Search Skype Directory, Save a Phone Number or Import from iPhone/Import from iPod.
If you have chosen Search Skype Directory:
- Look for a contact by entering their Skype Name, full name or email address in the search field.
- From the list of matches displayed, select the contact you’d like to add.
- Tap Add contact at the bottom of the screen.
- You are then prompted to send a contact request. Enter some text to introduce yourself if you want, and tap Send.
If you have chosen Save a Phone Number:
- Enter the name and phone number of the contact you’d like to add.
- Tap Save.
Learn more about managing contacts.