Getting started with Skype (Android tablets)
With Skype for Android tablet, you can make free voice calls and video calls, call mobiles and landlines, send instant messages, and share files with other people on Skype.
If you are being signed out immediately after being signed in, you will need to upgrade to the latest version of Skype using the procedure found here.
The following questions and answers will help you sign in and out of Skype on your Android tablet and set up your preferred settings:
Does Skype work over 3G, 4G and WiFi?
Yes, you can run Skype for Android and use all of its features over 3G, 4G, and WiFi. Your mobile operator might charge you for data when you use the application over 3G or 4G.
How do I create a Skype account?
Even if you've never used Skype before, you can download Skype for Android from Google Play and join Skype.
To create a new account:
- Start Skype for Android.
- Tap Create account.
- Enter the required details:
- Your name
- Unique Skype Name (between 6 and 32 characters)
- Password (at least 6 characters)
- Your email address
- Tap the arrow.
When you have a new account, you’ll be signed in to Skype automatically. The account you create can be used on any other versions of Skype such as Skype for Windows, Skype for Mac or Skype on your TV.
You can, of course, use an existing Skype Name if you already have one. Simply tap Skype Name, email or phone, enter your Skype Name or Microsoft account email address and password in the sign-in screen and tap Sign in.
Can I sign in to Skype with my Microsoft account?
Yes you can - just tap Skype Name, email or phone on the sign-in screen and use your Microsoft account email address and password to sign in. For more information, see our guide to signing in to Skype on Android.
Can I be signed in to Skype on my tablet and on my computer at the same time?
You can sign in to Skype on both devices at the same time, but we don’t recommend it. Being signed in to Skype on both devices may lead to conflicts between settings on the applications, and you may find that instant messages are delivered to one device and not the other. We recommend only being signed in on one device at a time.
Can I sign in automatically?
Yes. To sign in automatically whenever you open your Skype app:
- Tap the menu icon .
- Tap Settings.
- Check the box next to Save my password.
If you would prefer to enter your password every time you open the Skype app, follow the steps above and uncheck the box next to Save my password.
How do I sign out of Skype?
To sign out of Skype, tap your profile picture on the right side of the screen, press the phone's menu button or tap the menu icon , and select Sign out.
Can I change my Skype settings?
Yes. To view your application settings:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Tap the menu icon .
- Select Settings.
In the settings menu, you can edit the following options:
- Sync contacts: Choose how you’d like to synchronize your Skype contacts with your Android phonebook.
- Notifications: Select which notifications you’d like to receive from the application. You can easily enable or disable receiving notifications on Skype events and features such as missed calls, new instant messages, status updates, and others.
- Allow IMs from: Choose who you want to receive instant messages from. Select Contacts only to stop receiving instant messages from people you don’t know.
- Receive calls from: Choose who you receive Skype calls from. Select Contacts only to stop receiving calls from people you don’t know.
- Answer calls automatically: Select this option to answer calls easier and faster. With this option enabled, you don’t have to tap any buttons to answer incoming calls.
- Technical info: Select this to display technical call info. This will show you information such as sound volume, video quality, and bandwidth usage.
- Video quality: Select high or low video quality according to your connection.
How do I set a custom ringtone to a conversation or contact?
You can assign a custom ringtone for a specific conversation or contact:
- Select a conversation from Recent.
- Tap the menu icon .
- Tap Ringtone options.
- Select Set custom ringtone to choose a custom ringtone from your device for the selected conversation.
To change back to the default ringtone, select Set default ringtone for the selected conversation.
How do I uninstall Skype?
To uninstall Skype:
- Open your tablet’s Settings.
- Select Applications (or Apps).
- If required, select Manage Applications.
- Select Skype and tap Uninstall.
Will Skype run on a "rooted" Android tablet?
Skype does not support rooting and Skype is not responsible for errors or crashes which result from modifications to the underlying Android OS.