This article is also available for:
Getting started with Skype 3.2 for BlackBerry 10
This FAQ is for devices running Skype 3.2 for BlackBerry 10. If you're using Skype 4, just click here
Not sure what version of Skype you have? It's easy to find out
- Where can I get Skype for BlackBerry 10?
- Does Skype work over 3G, 4G and WiFi?
- Do I need an existing Skype account, or can I create a new one on my BlackBerry?
- Can I sign in to Skype with my Microsoft account?
- Can I be signed in to Skype on my BlackBerry and on my computer at the same time?
- Can I change my Skype settings?
- How do I uninstall Skype?
To download Skype for BlackBerry 10, simply visit the BlackBerry application store*. The application is free to download. However, mobile operator charges may apply if you download the app using a mobile internet connection.
*Skype is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Skype for BlackBerry gets installed automatically so you don’t need a separate installation process.
To perform some basic actions in Skype for BlackBerry 10, you need to use touch gestures.
Learn how to use Skype for BlackBerry 10.
Yes, you can run Skype for BlackBerry 10 and use all of its features over 3G, 4G and WiFi. Operator data charges may occur when using the app over 3G or 4G networks.
Even if you've never used Skype before, you can download the Skype app from the BlackBerry World store. You can then join Skype simply by creating a new account using your device:
- Start Skype for BlackBerry 10.
- Tap Create a Skype account.
- If you're starting Skype for the first time, accept the terms and conditions.
Enter the required details:
- Your name
- Unique Skype Name (between 6 and 32 characters)
- Password (at least four characters and containing at least one number)
- Your email address
- Your mobile or landline number (optional)
- Tap Create an account.
When you've created a new account, you'll be signed in to Skype automatically. The account you create can be used on any other versions of Skype such as Skype for Windows, Skype for Mac or Skype on your TV.
You can, of course, use an existing Skype Name if you've previously created a Skype account. Simply enter your Skype Name and password in the sign-in screen and tap Sign in.
To sign out of Skype, simply tap the sign out icon at the top right of the screen.
With Skype for BlackBerry 10, it’s now possible to sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account. Then you can instant message, call and video call your Messenger buddies from Skype. To do so, simply tap Sign in with a Microsoft account in the sign-in screen.
Learn how to merge your accounts using Skype for BlackBerry 10.
You can sign in to Skype on both devices at the same time, but we don’t recommend it.
Being signed in to Skype on both devices may lead to conflicts between settings on the applications, and you may find instant messages are delivered to one of the devices and not the other. We recommend only being signed in to Skype on one device at a time.
Yes, it's easy to change your Skype settings. To view and change your app's settings:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Swipe from the top of the screen to display the options bar. Then tap the menu button at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Settings.
In the settings menu, you can edit the following options:
- Sign in automatically: Choose whether you'd like to be signed in to Skype automatically when you restart the application.
- Go offline: Choose how long the application is left inactive before going offline.
- Sync contacts: Choose how you’d like to synchronize your Skype contacts with your phonebook.
- Notifications: Select which notifications you’d like to receive from Skype.
- Answer calls automatically: Select this to answer the calls more easily and faster. You don’t have to tap any button to answer incoming calls.
- Allow IMs from: Choose who you receive instant messages from. Select Contacts only to stop receiving instant messages from people you don’t know.
- Receive calls from: Choose who you receive Skype calls from. Select Contacts only to stop receiving calls from people you don’t know.
- Technical info: Select this to display technical call info. This will show you information such as sound volume, video quality and bandwidth usage.
- Enable video calling: Check this option to enable video calling.
- Video quality: Select high or low video quality according to your connection.
To uninstall Skype:
- Find Skype in the list of your applications.
- Tap and hold the Skype icon.
- When a small trash can icon appears in the corner, simply tap it to uninstall the application.