Sending and managing video messages with Skype for Android
With Skype for Android phone and tablets, you can now keep in touch with your friends in even more ways, by sending them video messages. You can record a short video, edit it if you want and send it to your contacts.
The following questions and answers will help you set up video messaging in your Skype for Android:
What do I need to send video messages?
To send video messages, you need to be running Skype for Android on a device with a camera.
How do I record and send video messages?
Recording video messages with Skype for Android is easy:
- Sign in to Skype.
- There are two ways to start recording a video message.
- From Recents tap the floating action button .
- From Contacts .
- The record screen appears. To start recording, tap the red record button.
When you start recording your video message, the button will turn white.
Simply tap it again to stop recording.You can record up to three minutes of video.
Before or during your video message you can:
- Tap to switch between the front and back cameras.
- Tap to cancel your video message.
- Tap to apply a fun filter to your video message.
- Once recorded, the following screen will appear:
a) Tap the play icon to view the video message.
b) If you’re happy with the video message, tap the Send button
c) If you’d like to record your message again, tap the trash icon , then select Re-record or Cancel video message.
- When you send your video message, it will appear in the chat screen. To view the video message in the chat screen, tap the play icon.
Can I send a video message to a group?
Yes, to send a video message to a group that's already created, select the group from Recents then follow the same steps described above to send your video message. If you need help creating a group. here's how to start a group conversation.
Can I send a video message to a friend who is offline?
Yes, just follow the steps described above. When your contact signs in to Skype, your video message will appear in their recent conversations.
How do I view received video messages?
You can find all the video messages you received in Recent. Tap on the conversation marked as a received video message. A chat window will open. Tap the video message thumbnail to play it.
If you saved a video message, you can find it in your device's photo gallery.
How do I save video messages?
Did you record or receive a memorable video message that you want to save forever? To save the video message, tap and hold the video, and then select Save to gallery.
How do I delete my video messages?
You can delete a Video message after you've sent it. You have to be in an active conversation to perform the following actions:
To delete a video message:
- Tap and hold the video message you want to delete.
- Select Remove.
- This will delete your video message from the conversation. Once it's removed the video message is replaced with a confirmation stating This message has been removed.
Why do I receive "This video message is no longer available"?
Did you receive a message "This video message is no longer available" when you tried to view or save a video message? It’s because legacy (older) video messages can no longer be viewed or saved.
To avoid losing any special messages that you want to keep, we recommend saving them as soon as possible.