What's new with Skype group chats?
Skype is working on an improved group experience, so new group chats are now using our cloud-based Group Chat experience.
The cloud-based group chat system has the following benefits:
- You can send and receive messages when your friend is offline
- You can receive messages even when you aren’t actively using Skype
- The messages you send when you are offline are automatically queued to send once you are back online
- You’ll receive notifications when a new message is received and alternatively, you have the option to turn off these notifications if you prefer
- You can see consistent chat history across multiple devices
- Messages are synced across devices to show if a message has been read or not
- All new moderated chats are cloud-based.
To take advantage of cloud-based group chats, you and your contacts will all need to upgrade to the most recent version of Skype.
To learn about common commands, descriptions, and chat roles, go to What are chat commands and roles?