What's new with Skype group chats?
Skype is working on improving group chat, using our cloud-based experience.
To take advantage of cloud-based group chats, you and your contacts will all need to upgrade to the most recent version of Skype, then update your group chat. Learn more.
The cloud-based group chat system has the following benefits:
- You can send and receive messages when your friend is offline
- You can receive messages even when you aren’t actively using Skype
- The messages you send when you are offline are automatically queued to send once you are back online
- You’ll receive notifications when a new message is received and alternatively, you have the option to turn off these notifications if you prefer
- You can see consistent chat history across multiple devices
- Messages are synced across devices to show if a message has been read or not
- All new moderated chats are cloud-based.
To learn about common commands, descriptions, and chat roles, go to What are chat commands and roles?