Sending a group instant message (iPad)
A group conversation allows you to send instant messages to two or more contacts simultaneously. You can do this by creating a new group chat or adding contacts to an existing conversation.
To create a new group chat:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Tap the new chat icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- In the Add participants list, tap the contacts you'd like to add to the group chat.
- Once you're ready, tap the check mark icon at the top-right corner of the screen to start the group chat.
Important: If the chat window displays a message that a particular contact won’t be able to participate in the group chat until they upgrade Skype, please inform them by sending a separate 1-to-1 instant message to upgrade at Skype.com/updateme, or send them here for more information on cloud-based group chats.
- Type your message in the text field and tap the send button . Your message will be delivered to all the participants of the conversation.
Once your group chat has started, in the chat text box you can also:
A. Send an emoticon (if you don't see the one you want, check our full list) or Moji
B. Send an existing photo
C. Take a new photo to send
D. Send a video message
E. Share your location
F. Share a contact
Delightful and expressive, emoticons and Mojis are a fun way to display your sentiments. Here's how to add emoticons to your instant messages:
- Simply tap the emoticon icon to bring up a selection of emoticons.
- Find the one you want by browsing through them, or you can Search using keywords.
- Tap the one you want to add it to your message.
Managing an active group chat
Once the chat has started, you can tap the chat's name at the top of the screen to:
- Add the chat to your Favorites (or remove it from your Favorites) by tapping the star icon in the top right-hand corner.
- Turn the chat notifications on or off.
- Enable or disable Chat invitations.
- Use the Chat invitations Invite button to invite anyone to the conversation.
- Enable or disable the Chat history for new participants (controlled by the group administrator)
- Add people to the chat.
- View the list of participants. From there you can view their profile.
- Delete the chat.
- Leave the chat.
Now that you've set up a group, you can also start a group call.
If you've updated to the latest version of Skype for iOS, you'll see the Chat invitations option in your group profile. If the group administrator has enabled Chat invitations, you can invite anyone to your Skype conversation. You don't need their Skype name, they don't need a Skype account or even have Skype installed. To prevent people from joining your chat, you can disable the Chat invitations option.
When you click Invite, a URL is created that can then be shared out via share enabled apps on your device.
Anyone that clicks on this link will then join your conversation. If they are on a computer, and they don't have Skype already installed, they will be taken to Skype for Web and can join as a guest.