Skype on Desktop, Mac, and Linux keeps you more connected to your world by making it simple to get things done, have rich conversations, or enjoy spontaneous moments together with your friends and family.
Skype on Desktop, Mac, and Linux is currently available for Win 7, 8, 8.1, Win 10 up to RS1, Mac OS X 10.9 and up, and Linux 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04+, Debian 8.0+, OpenSUSE 13.3+, and Fedora Linux 24+.
What can I do with Skype on Desktop, Mac, and Linux?
- Profile picture - Click your profile picture to get to your Settings menu and update your status to Active, Do not disturb, or Invisible.
- Search - Find your friends quickly.
- Notifications - Go to your Skype notifications window.
- Contacts - Go to your contacts window where you can easily filter your Skype contacts by All, Skype only contacts, and which of your contacts is Active Now on Skype.
- Calls - Use the dialpad, quickly find your recent calls or make a new call to one of your contacts.
- More - Quickly get to your Applications Settings, Audio & Video Settings, Report a problem or Rate us, or Sign out.
- Chat - Start a new group, or one-to-one chat.
- Chat filter - Sort your chats by Time, and Unread, choose which View you'd like, Standard or Compact and for your new chats, Mark all as read.
- Chat name header - Easily get to your contact's or group's profile and settings.
- Open chat gallery - Find your shared photos, web links and files easily.
- Add to chat - Find add-ins to help you search the web, share content, and get things done in your conversation wihtout switching apps.
What are some of the new features in Skype Preview on Desktop, Mac, and Linux?
Customizable themes: From professional to playful, the Skype Preview on Desktop, Mac, and Linux lets you personalize your conversations with our colorful themes, keep it simple with our classic theme, or go easier on your eyes with the dark theme.
@mentions, message reactions and a new notification panel: Stay on top of your day with help from the notification panel. Quickly jump back into conversations where you were @mentioned, and see how people reacted to what you’ve said.
New chat media gallery: Finding content shared in a chat has never been easier with the chat gallery. Easily find that photo, link or document.
Improved chat list view: Find the style that’s best for you – standard or compact. Sort the list by recent, unread, or who is active on Skype right now.
Enhanced group calls: Customize your group call experience with drag and drop ease. Say it with an emoji using our new in-call reactions, too!
Message history: All the instant messages you’ve sent and received in your conversations, as well details of any calls you've had on Skype are stored, so you can access it when you're signed in to Skype on any device.