Skype Private Conversations give you enhanced security through end-to-end encryption with an additional layer of security for conversations between you and your friends and family. Private Conversations can only be between you and one other contact. This is not supported in groups. Private Conversations are only available in Skype on iOS and Android (6.0+).
To start a Private Conversation:
- Tap or click the + icon.
- Select New Private Conversation.
- Select the contact you'd like to start the Private Conversation with. You will be taken to a new chat with them.
- An invitation will be sent to your contact asking to accept your invitation. This invitation is valid for 7 days. If they do not accept before then, the invite will expire, and you will need to send another one.
- Once the contact has accepted, your Private Conversation will be available on that specific device. If you'd like to move the conversation to a different device, you would need to resend the invitation to your contact.
Deleting a Private Conversation
This works the same as a regular chat. Either right click or tap and hold on the conversation and select Delete chat. To recover the Private Conversation after you've deleted it, start a Private Conversation with that contact again and you'll be able to pick up where you left off.
Ending a Private Conversation
To end a Private Conversation, go to the chat header, scroll down and select End Private Conversation. You will receive a confirmation window to end the conversation. Select End Conversation. If you want to start another Private Conversation with this person, you will need to send a new invitation.
Features unique to Private Conversations:
- A Private Conversation will have a lock icon next to your contact's name.
- Preview messages from Private Conversations will not show in Chats or notifications.
- Private Conversation capabilities are limited. You cannot edit a message or forward a file. From the chat window, only emoticons, files and audio messages are available to send.
- Private Conversations are specific to a device. A new invitation must be sent and accepted, to change to another device.
Private Conversations are available in preview for Skype Insiders only. Learn more about becoming a Skype Insider.