Assistive features help people with disabilities navigate and control their device.
Customize your theme
Skype offers many ways to customize your experience to meet your needs.
- Select your profile picture
- Select Settings .
- Select Appearance to customize:
- Light or Dark mode.
- High contrast light or High contrast dark mode.
Desktop Keyboard shortcuts for themes
To quickly enter Theme selector:
- On Mac - Cmd + T
- On Windows - Ctrl + T
To toggle between the Light and Dark mode of your current theme:
- On Mac - Cmd + Shift + T
- On Windows - Ctrl + Shift + T
Turn on subtitles
- During an audio or video call, select the more button.
- Select Turn subtitles on.
Learn more about using subtitles in Skype.
You can quickly navigate through Skype using keyboard shortcuts. Learn more.
You can set the default font size of Skype on desktop.
- On Mac, use the View menu in the top bar to zoom in, out, or return to actual size
- Cmd + + for zoom in
- Cmd + - for zoom out
- Cmd + 0 for actual size
- On Windows, select Alt + V to bring up the View menu to zoom in, out, or actual size
- Ctrl + Shift + = for zoom in
- Ctrl + - for zoom out
- Ctrl + 0 for actual size
Automatically Answer Calls
You can set up Skype to automatically answer calls if you prefer.
- Select your profile picture.
- Select Settings .
- Select Calling .
- Select Answer incoming calls automatically.
- Optionally you can set Start my video automatically as a secondary option.
Check Microphone and Video State
Announce microphone status during a call:
- On Mac - [Command] + Shift + Option + [M]
- On Windows - Ctrl + Alt + M
Announce own video status during a call:
- On Mac - [Command] + Shift + Option + [K]
- On Windows - Ctrl + Shift + Alt + K
Using Skype with Assistive Technologies
Skype is designed to work with Assistive Technologies, including screen readers provided with Windows and MacOS.
Learn more about Windows Narrator setup.
Learn more about Mac VoiceOver setup.