We've been listening. The latest version of Skype for desktop includes your requested improvements. The latest version of Skype is faster to load, more reliable than ever and helps you get more done together with the people that matter most to you.
Skype (version 8) also includes features for a more personalized, interactive experience with your friends, family and coworkers. A. Profile
- Access and personalize your settings. B. More
- Access your settings, help and feedback, or sign out of Skype. C. Chats
- Find your recent chats and favorites quickly. D. Calls
- Make one-to-one or group calls or use the Dialpad to call a mobile or landline. E. Contacts
- Find your contacts, view who's active, or invite people to Skype. F. Notifications
- Catch up on reactions, and @mentions, or jump right back into a conversation. G. Sort Chats
- Sort your recent chats by time sent or unread messages. H. New Chat
- Start a new one-to-one, group, or private conversation.
Common questions for Skype version 8 and above
How do I send a message? Is my full conversation history transferred when I upgrade?
How to call, video call, call phone numbers and share my screen?
How do I manage my contacts?
You must go through the in-client upgrade process to preserve all of your conversation history. After the upgrade process you will be able to access a portion of history from within your new Skype client. Additional history will be transferred to a local file on your machine that you can use to search and view history outside of Skype. To find that history file:
My contacts, history and credits are completely missing after the upgrade
- Select Tools from the top tool bar.
- Select Export chat history from Skype.
- Follow the steps in the wizard.
Double check to make sure that you are signed in
to the new Skype application with the same Skype credentials that you use on classic Skype for desktop.
Improvements available in Skype versions 8 and above
The latest version of Skype still does the things you expect. You can chat, call and video call like you did in older versions of Skype. In addition, we’ve also added a few improvements: More joy in the journey
We want to make sure you’re able to deeply connect with the people who matter most. You can use these new features help you stay in touch, have fun and preserve memories through Skype:
- Rich calling activities – Share your screen to enrich your time together with friends, family and coworkers.
- Call recording and Snapshots – Never miss a memory, important thought or decision. Skype now lets you record calls and capture still Snapshots during calls.
- Reactions - Easily express how you’re feeling by reacting to messages in conversations or during video calls.
Do more together
Some of the new capabilities added to Skype can help you collaborate and coordinate with the people who matter most to you. We’ve also tried to supercharge Skype with new ways to stay on top of your conversations. You can use these features to get more done with Skype:
- @mentions – Easily grab someone’s attention in a group chat, by typing the @ symbol followed by their name, this will trigger a notification to them.
- Notification panel – See all of the reactions to your messages, @mentions in group conversations and if someone has quoted you in a centralized place. Click on the bell icon next to your contacts and chats to launch the notifications panel.
- Share photos, videos, and other files – Share up to 300 MB at a time by dragging and dropping files into a conversation or selecting the type of file you’d like to send near the chat text box.
- Chat media gallery - Looking for that link sent to you a few weeks ago? Quickly find shared content in the chat gallery. Click Gallery to see media, links, and files - you can even sort by type.
- Conversation assistants – Start a conversation with a bot or add them to your conversations so they can help you do things like book tickets, plan a trip, search for news and more.
The latest versions of Skype give you more control when it comes to choosing how Skype is displayed and how you are represented to your contacts on Skype. You can use these features to personalize your Skype experience:
- Customizable themes— Choose a color and theme for your Skype client through your application settings
- Flexible group call canvas – You can customize your group call experience and decide who appears in the main call canvas. Simply drag and drop contacts between the main call view and the overflow ribbon to select who you want to focus on.
We’re continually releasing updates to our application, based on customer feedback. Check out our Release Notes
for the latest updates.
As we continue to add improvements we want your suggestions and ideas. Provide feedback
so we can work together to deliver new features and needs that you love.