This article is also available for:
How do I change the language used by Skype for Windows desktop?
Skype for Windows desktop allows you to change the language it uses independently of the language used by the operating system. Changing the language in Skype is easy:
- Sign in to Skype.
- In the menu bar, click Tools > Change Language.
- Select your preferred language.
Skype will now use the selected language.
If your language is not available, you can translate Skype into your preferred language:
- In the menu bar, click Tools > Change Language > Edit Skype Language File… to open the Language file editor.
- Click each line of text in the Current column and enter your translation of the original text.
You don’t need to translate the Comment column.
- After you finish translating, click Save as… and save the language file in the following folder:
For 32-bit operating systems: C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone
For 64-bit operating systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone
- Click Apply to use the new language file.
To load a language file you’ve previously saved or downloaded:
- Click Tools > Change Language > Load Skype Language File….
- Search for the language file and click Open.
- Select Apply to use the new language file.
Skype will use the language file you have loaded whenever you sign in to Skype and you’ll see the modified language in the list under Tools > Change Language.
Are you looking for more languages? Visit Skype Community for help in getting a community-sourced language file.
The Skype Community page is available in English only.