The last 30 days of your conversation history are stored in the cloud, so you can access it when you’re signed in to Skype on any device.
History older than 30 days is saved on your hard drive, according to your history settings.
You can back up your history if for any reason you need to uninstall Skype, or if you want to transfer your history from one computer to another – for example, from a Windows PC to another Windows PC, or a Windows machine to a Mac. You just need to copy the main database file in your Skype Name folder.
To save and transfer your conversation history:
- Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard, then press R to bring up the Run window.
- Type %appdata%\Skype into the Run window and press OK.
- Open the folder named after your Skype Name.
- Find the main database file in the folder (it will be called main or main.db), copy it and save it to an external media device.
- On your new computer, install and sign in to Skype so that the necessary folder is created, then sign out of Skype again.
- Replace the existing main database file with the main file that you saved in step 4.
- Sign in to Skype. Your chat history will be there when you browse through your conversations.