This article is also available for:
Getting started with Skype (Windows Phone)
Never used Skype on Windows Phone before? Don’t worry, it is easy to get started.
The only thing you need to join Skype is to download the Skype app and sign in. You can create a new Skype account or simply sign in with your Microsoft account.*
*You cannot sign in to Skype for Windows Phone 7 with a Microsoft account.
To download the latest version of Skype for Windows Phone
Visit Windows Phone Store* and search for Skype. Both Skype for Windows Phone 7 and Skype for Windows Phone 8 are available in the Marketplace but only the one compatible with your mobile phone will be displayed.
Alternatively, we can send the download link to your mobile phone. However, this option is only available in certain countries. To receive the download link via SMS text message:
- Go to the mobile downloads website.
- Under Windows Phone, select Get the app.
- Select Get Skype for Windows Phone.
- Enter your mobile phone number and select Send link to my phone.
Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 are two different operating systems so you can’t update Skype for Windows Phone 7 to Skype for Windows Phone 8. Skype is free to download, but operator charges may apply if you use a mobile data connection.
*Skype is not responsible for the content of external sites.
To create a new Skype account
You can use your existing Skype account or create a new one using your mobile phone.
To create a new Skype account:
- Start Skype.
- In the sign-in screen, choose to create a new Skype account.
- You’ll be redirected to skype.com where you can create a new account.
- Enter your profile details, choose your Skype Name (this cannot be changed later) and password. Mandatory fields are marked with a *.
- After creating the account, simply start the Skype app and sign in using your new Skype name and password.
You can use your new Skype account to sign in to Skype on your computer, tablet or any device that can run Skype.
Learn more about Skype for Windows Phone 7.
Learn more about Skype for Windows Phone 8.