Getting started with Skype (Windows Phone)
This article is also available for:
Never used Skype on Windows Phone before? Don’t worry, it is easy to get started.
Visit Windows Phone Store* and search for Skype. Both Skype for Windows Phone 8 and Skype for Windows Phone 8.1 are available in the Store, but only the one compatible with your mobile phone will be displayed.
Alternatively, we can send the download link to your mobile phone. However, this option is only available in certain countries. To receive the download link via SMS text message:
- Go to the mobile downloads website.
- Under Windows Phone, select Get the app.
- Select Get Skype for Windows Phone.
- Enter your mobile phone number and select Send link to my phone.
Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 are two different operating systems, so you can’t update Skype for Windows Phone 8 to Skype for Windows Phone 8.1. Skype is free to download, but operator charges may apply if you use a mobile data connection.
*Skype is not responsible for the content of external sites.
To sign into Skype, or to learn more about linking your Skype account to your Microsoft account, check out our handy sign-in guide here.
Ready to learn more? Click below to learn about all the great features of Skype for Windows Phone 8:
- Finding your way around Skype for Windows Phone 8
- Adding contacts
- Managing contacts
- Making a video call
- Sending Instant Messages
- Calling Skype Contacts
- Sending Video Messages
- Calling mobiles and landlines
- Managing notifications
- Updating your profile, status, and mood message
If you just don’t want your contacts to see you, simply change your status to invisible.
If you want to sign out of Skype:
- Tap your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Tap the menu button .
Select sign out.
Important: If you sign out, you won’t receive IM or call notifications, and your Skype contacts will be removed from People Hub.
You can uninstall Skype from your phone at any time – this will remove the app from your device:
- Press the start key to go to the home screen.
- Swipe to the application list.
- Scroll down to find Skype.
- Tap and hold the Skype icon, then select uninstall.