How do I upgrade from Skype for modern Windows to Skype for Windows desktop?
First you need to uninstall Skype for modern Windows, then you can get Skype for Windows desktop and pin it to your Start screen.
- Close Skype by pressing Alt+F4 on your keyboard or by swiping from the top edge of the screen.
- In the Start screen, right click or tap and hold the Skype tile. The Options menu appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Uninstall from the Options menu.
- In the window that pops up, select Uninstall to confirm you want to uninstall Skype.
The Skype tile disappears from the Start screen.
To start using Skype for Windows desktop:
- If you haven’t already, download Skype for Windows desktop.
- When it’s installed, go to the Apps view – slide up from the middle of the Start screen with your finger, or click the arrow near the lower left corner of the Start screen.
- Find the Skype for desktop app (you’ll have to scroll past the modern apps first).
- Right click or tap and hold the app and select Pin to Start. The app will appear at the end of your Start screen, but you can drag and drop it to wherever you like. Now when you click or tap the Skype tile to launch Skype, Windows 8 switches to the desktop. All of your contacts are there in your new Skype app, along with your chat history for the last 30 days.
If you need a quick refresher on how to get the most out of Skype for Windows desktop, we’ve got a series of short video guides for all the essential things you will want to do with Skype.