Getting started with Skype for Android
If you are being signed out immediately after being signed in, you will need to upgrade to the latest version of Skype using the procedure found here.
Have you downloaded and installed Skype on your Android device? If so, the following questions and answers will help you start using Skype on your Android phone or Android tablet:
Does Skype work over 3G, 4G and WiFi?
Yes, you can run Skype for Android and use all of its features over 3G, 4G, and WiFi. Your mobile operator might charge you for data when you use the app over 3G or 4G.
Do I need an existing Skype account, or can I create a new one on my Android?
Even if you've never used Skype before, you can download Skype for Android from Google Play and join Skype.
To create a new account:
- Start Skype.
- Tap Create account.
- Enter the required details:
- Your name
- A unique Skype Name (between 6 and 32 characters)
- A password (at least six characters and containing at least one number)
- Your email address
- Tap the arrow.
After you've created a new account, you'll be signed in to Skype automatically. The account you create can be used on any other versions of Skype such as Skype for Windows, Skype for Mac, or Skype on your TV. Before you start using Skype, we recommend that you take the quick tour to learn its basics.
You can, of course, use an existing Skype account if you already have one. Simply tap Skype Name, email or phone when you start Skype, enter your Skype Name or Microsoft account email address and password in the sign-in screen and tap Sign in.
Are you having problems signing in?
How do I sign in to Skype with another account?
To use another account, you will need to sign out from the application first. Tap the menu icon in the top left corner of the screen, and then tap Sign out.
Can I sign in to Skype with my Microsoft account?
Yes you can - just tap Sign in here on the sign-in screen and use your Microsoft account email address and password to sign in. For more information, see our guide to signing in to Skype for Android.
Can I be signed in to Skype on my Android device and on my computer at the same time?
You can sign in to Skype on both devices at the same time; your IM notifications and calls should be delivered to the device you're actively using. Learn more.
How can I change my Skype settings?
It's easy to change your Skype settings. To view and change your app's settings:
In the settings menu, you can edit the following options:
- Start Skype.
- Tap the menu icon .
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen, and then tap Settings.
- Sync contacts: You can enable Skype to automatically add contacts from your address book, or copy your Skype contacts to your address book. .
- Notifications: Select which notifications you’d like to receive from Skype. You can select whether you want notifications for Skype features such as status, missed calls, new instant messages, and so on.
- Privacy: Save your password to enable sign-in without re-entering it.
- Allow IMs from: Choose who you receive instant messages from. Select Contacts only to stop receiving instant messages from people you don’t know.
- Receive calls from: Choose who you receive Skype calls from. Select Contacts only to stop receiving calls from people you don’t know.
- Answer calls automatically: Select this option to answer calls easier and faster. With this setting active, you don’t have to tap any buttons to answer incoming calls.
- Technical info: Select this to display technical call info. It will show you information such as sound volume, video quality, and bandwidth usage.
- Video quality: Select high or low video quality according to your connection.
- Video calls: Enable a video call to be displayed even when the app is in the background.
- Emoticons: You can enable and disable animated and large emoticons in chat
How do I set a custom ringtone to a conversation or contact?
You can assign a custom ringtone for a specific conversation or contact:
- Select a conversation from Recent.
- Tap the device's menu button, or tap the menu icon .
- Tap Ringtone options.
- Select Set custom ringtone to choose a custom ringtone from your device for the selected conversation.
To change back to the default ringtone, select Set default ringtone for the selected conversation.
Can I sign in automatically?
Yes. To sign in automatically whenever you open your Skype app:
- Tap the menu icon .
- Scroll to the bottom of your profile screen, and tap Settings.
- Check the box next to Save my password.
If you would prefer to enter your password every time you open the Skype app, follow the steps above and uncheck the box next to Save my password.
How do I sign out of Skype?
To sign out of Skype tap the menu icon , and select Sign out.
How do I uninstall Skype?
To uninstall Skype from your Android device:
- Open your device’s Settings.
- Select Apps or Applications.
- If required, select Manage Applications.
- Select All (applications) and find Skype.
- Select Skype and tap Uninstall.