Upgrading to the latest version of Skype for desktop Back to search results
We've been listening. The latest version of Skype for desktop includes your requested improvements. The latest version of Skype is faster to load, more reliable than ever and helps you get more done together with the people that matter most to you.
Skype version 8 also introduces new features for a more personalized, interactive experience with your friends, family and coworkers.
To seamlessly transfer your login information and to preserve your conversation history when upgrading:
- Verify what version number of Skype you’re using on your computer.
- If you are on version 7 or lower, select the Upgrade button to launch Skype and start the upgrade process.
Launch Skype to Upgrade
- Once you're in Skype, check for updates by navigating to the top tool bar and select Help > Check for Updates.
- Select the upgrade option and follow the onscreen steps.
Common upgrade questions
Is the new Skype for desktop experience available for my operating system?
Learn more about the system requirements for Skype.
Interested in getting a preview of the new experience on Windows 10? Join our Skype Insiders program to be first in line.
Is the upgrade free?
Yes. You can download and install the latest version of Skype free of charge.
I tried to upgrade, why does my Skype still look the same?
Double check to make sure you’ve upgraded to Skype version 8. If not, please try the upgrade process again.
Will my full conversation history transfer when I upgrade?
You must go through the in-client upgrade process to preserve all of your conversation history. After the upgrade process you will be able to access a portion of history from within your new Skype client. Additional history will be transferred to a local file on your machine that you can use to search and view your conversation history outside of Skype.
To find the history file:
- Select Tools from the top tool bar.
- Select Export chat history from Skype.
- Follow the steps in the wizard.
Why are my contacts, history and credits completely missing after the upgrade?
Make sure that you are signed in to the new Skype application with the same Skype credentials that you use on classic Skype for desktop.
Improvements available in Skype version 8 and above
The latest version of Skype still does the things you expect. You can chat, call and video call like you did in older versions of Skype. In addition, we’ve also added a few improvements:
More joy in the journey
We want to make sure you’re able to deeply connect with the people who matter most. You can use these new features help you stay in touch, have fun and preserve memories through Skype:
Do more together
Some of the new capabilities added to Skype can help you collaborate and coordinate with the people who matter most to you. We’ve also tried to supercharge Skype with new ways to stay on top of your conversations. You can use these features to get more done with Skype:
- @mentions – Easily grab someone’s attention in a group chat, by typing the @ symbol followed by their name, this will trigger a notification to them.
- Notification panel – See all of the reactions to your messages, @mentions in group conversations and if someone has quoted you in a centralized place. Click on the bell icon next to your contacts and chats to launch the notifications panel.
- Share photos, videos, and other files – Share up to 300 MB at a time by dragging and dropping files into a conversation or selecting the type of file you’d like to send near the chat text box.
- Chat media gallery - Looking for the link that was sent to you a few weeks ago? Quickly find shared content in the chat gallery. Click Gallery to see media, links, and files - you can even sort by type.
- Conversation assistants – Start a conversation with a bot or add them to your conversations so they can help you do things like book tickets, plan a trip, search for news and more.
The latest versions of Skype give you more control when it comes to choosing how Skype is displayed and how you are represented to your contacts on Skype. You can use these features to personalize your Skype experience:
- Customizable themes— Choose a color and theme for your Skype client through your application settings.
- Flexible group call canvas – You can customize your group call experience and decide who appears in the main call canvas. Simply drag and drop contacts between the main call view and the overflow ribbon to select who you want to focus on.
We’re continually releasing updates to our application, based on customer feedback. Check out our Release Notes for the latest updates.
As we continue to add improvements we want your suggestions and ideas. Provide feedback, so we can work together to deliver new features and needs that you love.